Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sometimes it just dawns on you

From Cryptomundo
Sniffing around after my last post 20 rosy fingers, I arrived at Loren Coleman's blog Twilight Language and a post entitled Predicting Aurora.  It's an interesting post, as are his other Aurora-related posts, but I was confused to a certain degree.  Was he writing conspiracy theory, or not?  So I asked him the question.  

Coleman's response was more than I'd hoped for.  He included my question in a separate post, Understanding Aurora As A Synchromystic Fortean, a post which, among other things, answers the question and acts a a kind of "mission statement" that underpins his work:

"Humans don't know all the answers. I certainly don't. But like Fort, I see my role, as my name informs, as a "Coal man" ("Coleman"), one of those who lit the fires on the hills along the ley lines, as a "perceiver." It may be for others to find in the data what they will. I certainly don't claim any conspiracies, connections, or covert operations in Aurora. I shall give you the facts, no matter how grounded or beguiling, and you can come to your own conclusions."

I really appreciate Coleman's candor, as well as the compassion he displays in this post.

Incidentally, Loren is apparently a name that denotes someone from a place of laurel trees.  The laurel has a lot of symbolism behind it, from the resurrection of Christ to its association with a Chinese analogue to Sysiphus (which may not be encouraging to Mr.Coleman!)  It is also the material used to make the victory wreaths given to the winners of competitions since the heyday of ancient Greece and has left us the expression, "don't rest on your laurels" as well as the word "laureate."  Very timely, as these wreaths were given to the winners in athletic competitions, including the Olympics, an event which Coleman examines in his Aurora posts.  The Greek name of these crowns was στέφανος, or "stephanos".  Which is....the origin of my first name, Steven.  It does seem all rather connected, once you do a little digging; you don't even have to dig too deep.

Coleman does come from the Old English "coal man" but it's also an Anglicized version of the Gaelic Ó Colmáin, rendered in other languages as Colombano (It.) and Colombain (Fr.)  The feminine of this name is Columbine, which we discussed in the last post and whose relevance to a shooting in Colorado explains itself.

And for me, ex-Boy Scout, Coleman always makes me think of a high-quality brand of propane lamp, bringing some light into cold nights in the dark forest....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Need to add an image? Use this code: [ximg]IMAGE-URL-HERE[x/img]. You will need to remove the the boldface x's from the code to make it work.